Soapbox is an independent and open-access publishing platform, offering a space for new and critical voices. As the name suggests, Soapbox aims to elevate different voices and promote fresh perspectives on the cultural objects, phenomena, and concepts shaping our world and experiences.
Soapbox is a publishing platform founded in 2018. It has since promoted scholarly, artistic, and interdisciplinary work that engages provocatively with cultural artefacts, concepts, and contemporary phenomena within the humanities. Soapbox advocates for multiplicity. We encourage the submission of creative, experimental, and boundary-pushing works, as well as more traditional essays that share their differing perspectives on the cultural objects, concepts, and phenomena shaping our worlds.
Our platform operates both in print, in the form of a peer-reviewed journal, and on the web, where we accept submissions all year-round. The floor is open to students, graduate and early career researchers, as well as writers and creatives from various backgrounds. We aim to open up the route to publication and to share with new audiences the dynamic work of cultural analysis in the Netherlands and beyond.
Founded in 2018, Soapbox is an initiative of Zoë Dankert and Laura Pannekoek. The other founding members were Laura van den Bergh, Noura Borggreven, Calvin Duggan, Aster Hoving, Callum McLean, Isobel Miller and Mick Vierbergen.
Soapbox began in 2018 as a research project and it quickly developed into the open-source research and artistic platform it is now. Soapbox doesn’t cover its expenses through advertising, instead, we are fully dependent on various funds and grants, as well as the sales of our printed issue. If you like what we’re doing and want to support us, friendly contributions are more than welcome. Thank you!
Soapbox is also sold in the following bookstores (subject to availability):
- San Serriffe (Amsterdam)
- Athenaeum (Amsterdam)
- Stedelijk Museum (Amsterdam)
- Van Abbemuseum (Eindhoven)
- PageNotFound (The Hague)
- Tent (Rotterdam)
- We collect the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
- We retain some of your data but never share your data with other parties.
- You can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
Embedded content from other websites
- Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
- Soapboxjournal.net is hosted by Webflow. Soapboxjournal.net shares Webflow’s global and EU legal policies.
Last updated: November 2020